Northwest GA White Queso

I have eaten queso at restaurants across the continental United States and for some reason the queso in Northwest Georgia is different than anywhere else. Really. It's almost impossible to replicate.

I've tried everything, and this is the best I've gotten so far:

  • 1/2 pound white american cheese, from the deli, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1/2 to 1+ cup half and half, depending how thick you want the dip
  • Juice from pickled jalapeños, to taste. I add about 2 Tablespoons, then go from there.
Place cheese cubes and 1/2 cup half and half in a microwave safe bowl with jalapeño juice. Microwave for 1 minute then stir. Then microwave until all the cheese is melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Watch carefully or it will boil over. Add more half and half if you want it thinner, or more jalapeño juice, or the diced peppers, if you like the flavor.

I tend to make this in the microwave if it's JUST the cheese, but I cook it on the stovetop if I'm going to add other ingredients.

I like to put this in a crockpot to keep it warm or else it will start to solidify.

Variation:
  • 1/2 onion, diced and sauteed in 2 Tbsp. butter or 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 four ounce can of diced green chiles, mild
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika

Sauté onion in butter before adding remainder of ingredients from the recipe above. Cook on low until just melted. Be careful not to burn it.


Serve with fresh corn tortilla chips or try to find low sodium chips. The extra salt on the chips can really throw off the flavor.

I usually just buy a 1 pound block of cheese from the deli, that way I have enough for a few batches. 

Comments

Popular Posts