Southern Pound Cake
My mom has been baking this pound cake for YEARS. The recipe is typed out with her notes included.
- 3 cups All Purpose flour, sifted
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk (or 1/2 non-dairy creamer, 1/2 water)
- 3 or 4 sticks of butter* (4 sticks is more “greasy”)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. flavoring (lemon & vanilla or almond & vanilla)
- 1 tsp. butter flavor IF you used margarine.
*Fleishman’s or Land O’Lakes margarine can be substituted in part.
- Pre-heat oven to 350*. If your oven runs hot try 325*
- Grease and flour a tube pan or two loaf pans.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- Pour flavorings into milk.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks to butter and sugar.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Alternate adding flour and milk into the butter, egg mixture.
- Fold egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter into pre-greased and floured pans.
- Bake for about 1.5 hours in tube pan or about 1 hour in loaf pans.
You don’t HAVE to separate the eggs and can just add them in with the creamed butter, but beating the egg whites makes the pound cake fluffier.
A 50/50 mixture of Amaretto coffee creamer and water is ideal, instead of milk.
You can also add a "dollop"of sour cream into your milk mixture, for extra flavor.