Parmesan Panko Chicken with Saffron Risotto
Chicken recipe adapted from Food Network
For the chicken:
- Cooking spray
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 5 ounces each
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs or unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Place eggs in a separate shallow dish. Combine panko crumbs and Parmesan in a third shallow dish.
- Dip chicken first in flour, then in the egg and then panko crumb mixture.
- Transfer chicken to the prepared baking sheet and spray the surface with cooking spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven.
For the rice:
- 1 1/2 cups white or arborio rice*
- 5 cups simmering chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup dry white wine - optional
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Add saffron to heated broth.
- In a heavy dutch oven or pot with a lid melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice to the onions and butter and cook until the rice starts to smell warm and nutty, don't let the rice become brown.
- Add wine to rice and stir until wine evaporates.
- Start adding hot broth one cup at a time. You'll use about 3 cups of broth for this step. Continue adding one cup of broth at a time, stirring until the liquid has mostly evaporated and the rice will start to become creamy.
- Once about half of the liquid is gone pour the remainder of the liquid into the pot with the rice mixture. Bring to a low boil. Cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Remove the lid. If your rice still has a lot of liquid you can continue cooking on low until the mixture becomes thick.
- Add cheese, stir until the cheese is melted and everything is incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with sauteed mushrooms if desired.